My Diana


 Ms. "Anne-with-an-e" Shirley--the charming girl with a personality as fiery as her carrot-colored hair--speaks eloquently of friendship in the beloved Anne of Green Gables series.  She says, "I'm so thankful for friendship.  It beautifies life so much."

Isn't that lovely?!

I, too, am thankful for the beauty of friendship.

As a young girl, I would watch Anne of Green Gables and breathlessly await the scene in the film when Diana Barry and Anne Shirley swear an oath to each other, to be bosom friends forever.  The sentimental exchange takes place after the hilarious "botched tea party" scene.  As any "Green Gables fan" may recall, Anne invites Diana to a tea party.  While at the Cuthbert residence, Diana mistakenly drinks three cups of current wine that Anne had presumed to be raspberry cordial.  Anne must take a "very drunk Diana" home to her mother, the dreaded Mrs. Barry.  Outraged by the blunder, Mrs. Barry forbids Diana from being Anne's friend.  The two meet in secret, in the woods beyond the Cuthbert house:

ANNE:  Your mother hasn't relented?
DIANA:  I told her it wasn't your fault, and I cried and cried, but it's no use, Anne.  We can't ever be friends again.
ANNE:  Diana, will you promise never to forget me, no matter what other friends come into your life?
DIANA:  I could never love anyone as much as I love you, Anne.
ANNE:  Do you really love me?
DIANA:  Of course I do.
ANNE:  Nobody's ever loved me for as long as I can remember, except for Matthew and Marilla.  Will you swear to be my secret bosom friend?
DIANA:  But isn't it wicked to swear?  We're in enough trouble already.
ANNE:  Not when you're swearing a vow.  I solemnly swear to remain faithful to my bosom friend, Diana Barry, for as long as the sun and the moon shall endure.  Now you say it.
DIANA:  I solemnly swear to remain faithful to my bosom friend, Anne Shirley, for as long as the sun and the moon--
ANNE:  Shall endure.
DIANA:  Shall endure.  And as long as my mother doesn't find out.

The scene would end with Anne cutting and keeping a small lock of Diana's hair.  I'd dry my eyes (hey!...that scene is tender and I was a sensitive child!) and wish for a bosom friend to cherish; my own kindred spirit.  I wondered when I would meet "my Diana."

Years later--in a new city, with a new baby, and in a new apartment--I found myself praying for a friend who could relate to the challenges I was facing as a new mother.  As a vulnerable (and clueless!) novice, I knew I needed a fellow "mommy comrade" to draw support from.  Simply, I needed a friend. I sent my quiet, whispered prayers to heaven and earnestly hoped that they would be answered.

Shortly after, I met Chantel!

Our connection was immediate, our bond solid from the start.  As bosom friends, we have shared play dates, lunch dates, movie dates, and "pedicure dates."  Together, we've been through pregnancies, births of children, purchasing homes, and moving days.  We've shared joyous moments and have fortified one another in times of despair.  We have laughed together.  We have cried together.   We've helped each other in our roles as young mothers.

Years later--in a new city, and in a new home--"my Diana" finds herself having Rocky Mountain adventures and enjoying her beautiful life in Colorado.  I miss her every day.  I despise the miles that separate us.  I think about how nice it would be to have her closer; I think about how happy I am for her and her husband, that they made the right decision to relocate.  I try not to feel too sad about the fact we live in different states, especially as I recall Anne Shirley's resonant words:

"True friends are always together in spirit."

Comments

  1. so wonderful! first rollings reliable and now a diana berry?! we need to color your hair red and start calling james, "gil"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOU AMY!!!!!! You are a blessing in my life!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is the sweetest *sniff ( and its not because my name is mentioned *wink*) True friends really are a true treasure and irreplaceable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so darling, I was browsing your blog and saw the title of this post and HAD to read it! I LOVE Anne of Green Gables, and my friend and I were just talking last week about Anne and Diana and how we were like them :) I'm so sorry your "Diana" moved away! So sad :( But I can be your new long-distance Diana, k? We were bosom friends from the time we met, {and I forged your stamp.} Haha! Love you cute girl! --Holly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lovety lovety love Anne of Green Gables! How's your "Diana" now? Following via the Aloha Blog Hop.

    http://marlowesloft.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you! Thanks for making my day brighter with your comments! I mean it. (Now go have yourself a Diet Coke!)

Popular Posts